Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development of the Joint! Your ideas?

Default Development of the Joint! Your ideas?

Hi guys,

As many of you know, I'm the owner of both DoA and the Joint. I'm phasing out my ownership of DoA and will be retiring completely (yay!) within the next few months... which means I will have more time and energy to devote to The Joint.

Since you guys are so great, the site pretty much moderates itself. I'm not looking to add rules or complexities to the site.

However, I would love to add features and find ways to make the Joint even better. Are there features that you would like, new sections? Do you like the tighter focus on BJD, or would you like to see the forum expanded to include areas for other related interests (such as general doll customization, other types of dolls, unjointed sculptures and art dolls, etc)? I was thinking it might be cool to have small monthly or bimonthly challenges and contests.

We're a small enough community that I'd love to talk development as a group! I very much consider The Joint "our" forum, so please tell me what's on your mind.
    At a creative low...

I'd like to suggest a small but possibly very helpful feature! Right now, only the title text shows up but I often forget which doll goes with which thread (because my memory is bad...). If pictures appear under the thread titles when browsing a forum it could be super helpful? Would this eat up too much bandwidth?

And and, thank you for all the hard work and devotion to DOA and The Joint!!!

Have you ever heard about Ravelry? It is a knitting and crochet community. There are over 4 million members, and there are usually 4 or 5 thousand people logged in whenever I login. It is the most amazing forum I have ever been on. If you want to get ideas about ways to make an awesome forum, check out Ravelry, and take notes. https://www.ravelry.com/

Best Wishes For Sucess in All of Your Endeavors.
    (^_^)
    WIP: Aalish [63cm jeune fille in oil-clay, carving wax, doll composition slip.]
    http://www.bjd-artists.com/showthread.php?5343-Aalish-III
    http://atelierpoupee.blogspot.com/

Honestly, I would love to see some sort of small market. Just something easy to scan where one could find Etsy shop links, preorder dates, artist casts for sale, and the like.
    Mostly, I just make horns now...

Challenges sounds pretty awesome!! if we do that I'm super excited for it
    Last edited by varebanos; 07-24-2015 at 07:01 PM.

I think expanding to include customization and non-jointed sculpture would be great.

Also, a database for Artist dolls. Just looking at all the unique designs artists have successfully completed and marketed can be so inspirational!
    In Progress: Mature tiny girl

I would love to see a tutorial/how-to section outside of what we already have and then have that split into sub-threads. Ex. Have a casting thread then within that maybe have different techniques like resin casting, porcelain, etc. This way we don't have to go off site and we can help each other and discuss. I also think we should assemble a team (or just ask anyone who feels like it to pitch in) to gather more up-to-date resources for the wiki/reference section.
    Currently working on...
    Unnamed 3D Pinted MSD :3

I feel like Dollmaking needs additional subforum... something that would include sculpting, mouldmaking and casting techniques maybe? I think these topics are discussed in general section now, but they still fall under dollmaking.

Okay! I'm going to work on this a bit tonight - if things look weird, that's why! I'd consider anything new to be a beta-testing situation; if we don't like it, I'll put it back.
    At a creative low...

Thank you, Armeleia!
    Mostly, I just make horns now...